Franciscan Church and friary
The franciscan church was sanctified to the honour of a monk, Pápuai Szent Antal. The baroque church was built in 1736 on the place of a late Turkish mosque. The ternary baroque altars and the furniture of the protected sacristy of church was built in 1770. It has an outstanding artistic value on national level. On the ternary altars next to Saint István and Saint László, a female and a male monk can be found. According to the records, the cupboard in the sancristy was made by János Lukács out of rosewood and decorated with arabesque-mesh. As in so many places, the Ottoman wash basin was converted to the holy water basin. Under the church, a crypt was discovered which presumably was the burial place of the monks. The friary was attached to the Franciscan church in 1740, in baroque style. The franciscan monks produced their own food in the garden. Their motto was: ’pray and work’. The upper storey of the original two building was demolished in 1830. Currently the Leó Weiner Elementary Arts Education Institution operates in the building. Many concerts are organized yearly in the cozy, enclosed courtyard.